Wednesday, September 11, 2013

"A Fine Romance" by Susan Branch

Lady B had a copy. Marilyn had a copy. Linda had a copy. Why, pray tell, was I the last person to learn about the magnificent new book from Susan Branch, "A Fine Romance"? No matter. A short wait from Amazon and a copy was waiting on my doorstep one afternoon last week. Branch is a beloved artist to those of us who've admired her tea-themed stationery, tea towels and book art over the years. Sandy Lynam Clough, Mary Engelbreit, Susan Rios, and of course Susan Branch — it's rather a small Hall of Fame when it comes to tea-themed artwork, and these are our superstars.

Branch and her husband celebrated their 25th anniversary with a trip to England aboard the Queen Mary II and spend two months (two months - yowza!) exploring the English countryside. The inside pages capture the magic of their many adventures, and the pages are designed scrapbook-style, a technique which always, always lures me right in. Even this opening had me admiring the Cunard pen (I am an absolute pen fanatic), the Queen Elizabeth stamp, the dried flower and the various bits of ephemera. Ahhh!

And this is a small detail from two of the (many) pages featuring teatime, so you can see that Branch's signature lettering style is on every single page. I cannot begin to imagine how much work this book was to create, but wow, is it ever a treat for the reader! It seems so intimate, so personal, to read her writings about the trip in her very own handwriting, and it really makes this book feel like a close friend has invited you over for tea and a recap of her trip. Come to think of it, that may be just what has happened! Of course since I'm the last person to get a copy of the book, you all already knew that, right?

13 comments:

  1. I don't have my copy yet either, but I will, soon. I have been reading about it on Susan Branch's blog and am looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the book! It's hard to put down once you begin reading it. If you can't travel the English countryside in person, with Susan's book you can do it vicariously. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so ready to travel back to England and revisit all the places I love, after reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met Susan and Joe last week at a book signing in Ohio. Such a sweet couple and they love their fans. The book has already gone to the third printing! They are touring the country in their very own Fine Romance Van.

    Am savoring each page of this endearing adventure. Enjoy your journey with them, Angela!

    Have a happy day,

    Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, it is wonderful, isn't it? Does that mean you don't frequent her blog? That is how we knew about it for a good long while now-we were getting snipits and the anticipation grew for months. It was as wonderful as we hoped for and I think I am not the only one ready to pack my bags.
    xo Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too don't have a copy yet! It looks darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to get the book at Chapter's, our book store but they don't have it in Canada yet.
    Several bloggers have gone to the book signings and shared some fabulous photos.
    Guess I'll be the last one to get the book. :-(
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just read this and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving this book and want to read it again this fall. So glad you finally got a copy. The tea references are abundant and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're not the last person to get a copy. I'm waiting for my copy to come from Barnes & Noble and am hoping it's a first edition. Why? Because the book, which was just released a couple of months ago, is now into a third reprint. You need to go over to Susan's blog and catch up on everything connected to this book. She's touring the states now doing book signings and you should see the van she's touring in. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Angela, I don't have a copy of this book (yet), but hope to get one soon! Thanks so much for your review, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!